July 22, 2014, 08:39:00 PM

Author Topic: Slash - VR is auditioning singers this week.  (Read 5519 times)

Offline Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • SLDD
    • View Profile
Re: Slash - VR is auditioning singers this week.
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2012, 02:14:06 PM »
Either make VR an occasional band on the side for all parties involved that doesn't take away from the 'priorities' or leave it alone.

This.

They keep trying because they really enjoy playing/working together, but apparently is too much for them to deal with Scott again. Or maybe is a matter of pride.
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

Offline Manxita

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sour girl / happy girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2012, 02:14:24 PM »
I like Ours, have their records, and have Gnecco's solo album.  Dude can sing, and he's written some great songs.

I would give it a spin.  But just because a singer leaves doesn't mean the band will lose steam.  I love Scott, I think he's fantastic, but bands have done it before.

Of course they have, and VR probably will go on, it just won't be the same, at least for me. Especially considering the fact that Scott co-wrote all the songs with them, so it's inevitable that the material will be different. To me he was an integral part of the band, their sound and their image, that's why I think he's been so hard to replace...

Many bands have "survived" changing their lead singer, for sure...then many others haven't.
"I am trampled under sole of another man's shoes...Guess I walked too softly"

Offline Manxita

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sour girl / happy girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2012, 02:15:15 PM »
Either make VR an occasional band on the side for all parties involved that doesn't take away from the 'priorities' or leave it alone.

This.

They keep trying because they really enjoy playing/working together, but apparently is too much for them to deal with Scott again. Or maybe is a matter of pride.

I also agree...and at this point I'm leaning towards the second option...

Offline lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2012, 02:20:22 PM »
I like Ours, have their records, and have Gnecco's solo album.  Dude can sing, and he's written some great songs.

I would give it a spin.  But just because a singer leaves doesn't mean the band will lose steam.  I love Scott, I think he's fantastic, but bands have done it before.

Of course they have, and VR probably will go on, it just won't be the same, at least for me. Especially considering the fact that Scott co-wrote all the songs with them, so it's inevitable that the material will be different. To me he was an integral part of the band, their sound and their image, that's why I think he's been so hard to replace...

Many bands have "survived" changing their lead singer, for sure...then many others haven't.

Very true.  Have you heard any Ours stuff?

Offline Manxita

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sour girl / happy girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2012, 02:22:11 PM »
Not really, actually I dind't know they existed until this whole "Jimmy Gnecco singing for VR" rumour...I will check them out, see what I think about them...

Offline lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2012, 06:31:55 PM »
I suggest Miseryhead, I'm a Monster, Leaves, and The Worst Things Beautiful :-)

Offline lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2012, 08:05:04 PM »

Matt answered questions on Musinq.net today.  He was asked a couple times about Weiland/VR.  Here are those.

Q:
So what about Velvet Revolver? What about GNR reunion ?? Come onÖ. someone tell us somethingÖ =) 
A:i wish i knew , they both could happen

Q:
Musinq.net say you still play with Scott Weiland. Does that mean he is the frontman for Velvet Revolver? 
A:no but we just played a gig last week

Q:
Matt is it at all possible to make another VR record with Scott. Without extensive 2-3 year tours that can lead to problems maybe tour for a few months. I donít see why Scott canít do both STP & VR and the rest of you can do your thing! Please comment.. 
A:you never know , scott is a great frontman its just hard to be on the road sometimes when things dont flow

Q:
Hey Matt,
With Slash doing his own thing, and Duff playing with Loaded, whats the future look like for Velvet Reolver? I absolutly loved your music, and saw you live twice. Both were Killer showers. It would be aweful if you all just went your seperate ways.
A:Hi Dark wonder Its matt we are still looking so hard to find a great singerbut Vr will be back

Q:
Matt, thanks for answering me, it means a lot to me, Iím grinning from ear to ear. Velvet Revolver is looking for a singer? 
A:yes we are trying out a guy from england now

Q:
Matt, thanks for answering me, it means a lot to me, Iím grinning from ear to ear. Velvet Revolver is looking for a singer?
A:yes we are trying out a guy from england now

http://musinq.net/ask-celebrities/ask-matt-sorum/ask-matt-sorum-a-question/

The fact that they're trying out a guy from England now tells me that either they are keeping Gnecco on the back burner, or that they've moved on.

Offline lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2012, 04:39:26 PM »
Matt did another today. He said he's "not sure yet" if the original lineup is reuniting.

Offline Manxita

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sour girl / happy girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2012, 04:52:56 PM »
He's being very coy about the whole thing...

GrungeReport.net   Ľ Blog Archive Ľ MATT SORUM SAYS SCOTT WEILAND IS NOT RETURNING TO   VELVET REVOLVER, BAND TRYING OUT ENGLISH SINGER             
January 20, 2012                                                       
[...] Revolver drummer Matt Sorum is doing a fan Q&A on musinq.net and commented on Velvet Revolver and Scott [...]

Matt
January 20, 2012
  •   I never said Scott was out so donít put words in my mouth we r trying different things thats all

PJ             
January 21, 2012                                                       
 Is VR considering getting back together with Scott?

Matt             
January 21, 2012                                                       
U never know

PJ
January 22, 2012
What was your favorite STP song to play live with Velvet Revolver?

Matt
January 22, 2012
Sex type thing

« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 04:59:29 PM by Manxita »

Offline Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • SLDD
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2012, 05:12:51 PM »
Matt simply does not know what's gonna happen.
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

Offline drstanley17

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • Purple
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2012, 02:34:19 PM »
Being a long time Jimmy Gnecco/Ours fan, I would be HIGHLY surprised if Jimmy decided to front VR. It's just not gonna happen. He is too independent as an artist...maybe a very short term collaboration..but that would be it.

Offline Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • Core
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2012, 09:04:20 PM »
Though totally unlikely and highly illogical, I would love to see Days of the New singer Travis Meeks audition for VR. He's an excellent singer and he performs great live. Plus, I'd feel like he'd make more hits with the stylings of Velvet Revolver than with any other of his rock outfits. However, since he's a crack head he's not very dependable. Haha. Nothing against him of course, Rock on Days of the New!

I also wouldn't mind Royston Langdon of Spacehog. He's such an underrated singer and I'd love for him to be back on top of the music world and prove he isn't just some 1995 one hit wonder. He's reportedly auditioned already, but I really wish they would've released some cool demo tracks with him or something. He's such an awesome singer and once again, I feel like he'd do better with Velvet Revolver than he would by himself or with Spacehog.

Regardless of who they get, if they get anyone, I'll look into the new VR because even without Scott Weiland, I'm a fan of VR as a band too.
"Yes I've finally found a reason, I don't need an excuse. I've got too much time on my hands, you are the one to abuse."

Offline MrKerosene

• Pee Coat
  • Pilot
    • Tiny Music
    • View Profile
    • Drop Dead Sixty - Music Page
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2012, 12:06:46 AM »
Though totally unlikely and highly illogical, I would love to see Days of the New singer Travis Meeks audition for VR. He's an excellent singer and he performs great live. Plus, I'd feel like he'd make more hits with the stylings of Velvet Revolver than with any other of his rock outfits. However, since he's a crack head he's not very dependable. Haha. Nothing against him of course, Rock on Days of the New!

I also wouldn't mind Royston Langdon of Spacehog. He's such an underrated singer and I'd love for him to be back on top of the music world and prove he isn't just some 1995 one hit wonder. He's reportedly auditioned already, but I really wish they would've released some cool demo tracks with him or something. He's such an awesome singer and once again, I feel like he'd do better with Velvet Revolver than he would by himself or with Spacehog.

Regardless of who they get, if they get anyone, I'll look into the new VR because even without Scott Weiland, I'm a fan of VR as a band too.

Man, so I've seen a few of your responses now, and you sound like me about 5 years ago. Not saying it's a bad thing, but it's interesting.

As for Velvet Revolver, this is something people need to keep in mind: It's going to fail without Scott Weiland, and even if the Scott Weiland from now magically decided to rejoin the band, the band would fail. It worked because a very specific Scott Weiland was in a very specific place in his career, and it worked for their band. The glammed out Weiland of yesteryear is gone, and the band is gone with him.
Do you like STP? Check out my band! We're heavily STP-influenced. http://dropdeadsixtymusic.bandcamp.com/

Offline seattlesound

• Pilot
    • SLDD
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2012, 12:17:58 AM »
It worked because a very specific Scott Weiland was in a very specific place in his career, and it worked for their band. The glammed out Weiland of yesteryear is gone, and the band is gone with him.

+1

I agree with that. Back in '03 and '04 when VR joined together all these guys had tons of critics saying "they couldn't do it". The media was just waiting for VR to explode right from the beginning before even touring Contraband. VR was a group of guys who all had their own baggage and they kinda' set out to shake up the rock n roll scene and to prove their critics wrong.

It was that type of "proving them wrong" attitude that made VR what it really was. I don't think it would work very well right now. It would feel like a shell of what it once was or something... Whereas STP can change with the times and change gears with every album.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 12:20:07 AM by seattlesound »

Offline disasterami

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • No 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2012, 12:41:18 AM »

Travis Meeks DID audition for VR before Scott, and if it didn't work then, i don't see it happening now :P I for one am still eagerly waiting for a follow-up Days Of The New album, the guy's way too awesome! You can just see the vision he had for the sound he wanted post-yellow album, he just took things up an epic level, just sad he's hit a road-block coz of the drugs... Same goes for the original line-up dat made Yellow and first two albums for Tantric, wish the guys were still making the great music they made on Tantric ....

Offline therealcaptain40

• Co-Pilot
    • Tiny Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2012, 06:19:57 AM »
How about Jack White or Maynard Keenan? Both are fond of being involved with several bands and both are awesome.

Offline Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • Tiny Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2012, 04:07:26 PM »
Maynard Keenan

We have a better chance of watching Velvet Revolver play on Mars than seeing Maynard join Velvet Revolver.  :)
hehe
Note to my "smiter follower"- I know who you are :) Feel free to keep following me around and smiting all my posts.  I really dont care.

Offline Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • Core
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2012, 09:38:12 PM »

Man, so I've seen a few of your responses now, and you sound like me about 5 years ago. Not saying it's a bad thing, but it's interesting.

As for Velvet Revolver, this is something people need to keep in mind: It's going to fail without Scott Weiland, and even if the Scott Weiland from now magically decided to rejoin the band, the band would fail. It worked because a very specific Scott Weiland was in a very specific place in his career, and it worked for their band. The glammed out Weiland of yesteryear is gone, and the band is gone with him.

Haha! Wow. I don't think I've ever heard that I sound like someones past self. Well, you know, I've read quite a few of your posts and generally speaking I like a lot of your responses and points of view and just what you usually have to say. I wouldn't mind having your kind of musical perspective in four or five years haha. So, I'm gonna take that as a compliment I guess!
"Yes I've finally found a reason, I don't need an excuse. I've got too much time on my hands, you are the one to abuse."

Offline disasterami

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • No 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2012, 12:35:00 AM »
Maynard Keenan

We have a better chance of watching Velvet Revolver play on Mars than seeing Maynard join Velvet Revolver.  :)
hehe

Well said! :D

Offline ShaneC

• Sky Captain
    • Core
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2012, 09:47:24 AM »
Scott Weiland was the only thing I ever found interesting with VR.
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

Offline MyFavoriteCagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'll breathe your life, Vick's Vapor life
    • Purple
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2012, 06:02:32 PM »
Scott Weiland was the only thing I ever found interesting with VR.
+1
You'll never lose it cuz you never had it

Offline Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • Core
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2012, 07:47:24 PM »

Travis Meeks DID audition for VR before Scott, and if it didn't work then, i don't see it happening now :P I for one am still eagerly waiting for a follow-up Days Of The New album, the guy's way too awesome! You can just see the vision he had for the sound he wanted post-yellow album, he just took things up an epic level, just sad he's hit a road-block coz of the drugs... Same goes for the original line-up dat made Yellow and first two albums for Tantric, wish the guys were still making the great music they made on Tantric ....

I never really rule anything out. It's been a long time since the original VR auditions, people change, opinions change. Vocally, both Travis Meeks and Royston Langdon are up to snuff for Velvet Revolver. Creatively speaking, not so much. Scott Weiland is a hardcore writer, capable of making hits and hooks that you'll remember for the rest of your life. The chances of VR getting someone else and actually being more successful or even AS successful as they were with Scott is highly doubtful. They'll wind up disbanding before long. Once again, I'm not ruling anything out. Slash isn't as gun-ho on finding a new singer for VR as he used to be anyway from what I've read. He's got big plans for his solo band w/ Myles Kennedy on vocals. They're doing a full length studio album together too if you didn't know. So, I don't know really. Just seems like Velvet Revolver isn't his number one priority, truth is, I don't blame him. As much as I'd like to think a new VR could be just epic and awesome, I wind up going back to the fact that it isn't Scott Weiland.

At this point to me, it seems like he'd be doing himself and VR a favor if he released a bunch of remastered Velvet Revolver auditions, demos, and outtakes from all the singers who auditioned to be the singer/new singer of Velvet Revolver in like a box set packaged with "Contraband" and "Libertad", get some profit, and just put the project to the side for a while and maybe try and look for a new singer to take over every once and a while. With permission from the singers of course, VR demos featuring Lenny Kravitz, Corey Taylor, Royston Langdon, Ian Astbury, Travis Meeks, Josh Todd, Sebastian Bach, Mike Patton, Myles Kennedy, and Chester Bennington, could all be in our hands. I don't know. Whatever Slash wants to do I guess. Regardless, I really want some of those demos haha.

Offline Manxita

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sour girl / happy girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2012, 08:23:22 PM »
I'd rather have the outtakes from the albums that they recorded with Scott... ;D
We even know some of the song names!

Offline Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • Purple
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2012, 09:30:31 PM »
The problem with releasing the demos, although it would bring press to the band, is that then everyone would get angry over why this singer or that singer was not chosen, and would cause a huge shit show.  It's a shame that people wouldn't just be happy to even get that
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

Offline Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • Tiny Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2012, 02:07:03 PM »
At this point to me, it seems like he'd be doing himself and VR a favor if he released a bunch of remastered Velvet Revolver auditions, demos, and outtakes from all the singers who auditioned to be the singer/new singer of Velvet Revolver in like a box set packaged with "Contraband" and "Libertad", get some profit, and just put the project to the side for a while and maybe try and look for a new singer to take over every once and a while.

I'd simply like to hear the studio cover of Queen's "Tie Your Mother Down" that they recorded but never released. 
Note to my "smiter follower"- I know who you are :) Feel free to keep following me around and smiting all my posts.  I really dont care.